Caramelised Onion Hummus
We love hummus, there’s usually a pot in the house ready to break out for snacks with the usual suspects – carrots and cucumber, always better with a completely loaded board though. Should you prefer a traditional hummus, simply omit the onions, but we like the sweet tang to shake things up.
AUTUMN - VEGETARIAN - VEGAN - GLUTEN FREE
Here's how you do it
1. Start by finely chopping and frying your onions and garlic with a glug of olive oil and the smoked paprika, over a medium/medium low heat, until they are soft and nicely glazed, just starting to caramelise – browning in colour amidst the red of the paprika.
2. Now drain and empty your chickpeas into a bowl along with the rest of the ingredients, add your onions and garlic and blend until smooth.
3. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil or store in an airtight container in the fridge for snacks later on.
I like to add a little honey to balance the flavours out, however if you are vegan, this can be omitted. When cooking the onions, be careful not to burn your paprika, as this changes the taste of it, making it more bitter, then you might need more honey!
Serve on a board loaded with tasty veggies to dip, along with our homemade Baked Falafels. This hummus is particularly good with olives. You can also use this hummus with wraps and pittas, packed lunches, smothered on sourdough, its lovely with sauteed mushrooms and flatbread, or with a simple salad.
You can, of course, roast the onions in the oven for 30-40 minutes, but I find that the bits that burn a little at the sides, coupled with the drying out process of using the oven, means that those bits don’t tend to always want to blend down smoothly. This simply means that you have a lumpier hummus, but delicious all the same. On the note of chopping onions, has anyone else resorted to wearing goggles? It’s brilliant. I don’t know why I didn’t do this years ago.
- One onion
- Two garlic cloves
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Extra virgin olive oil for frying
- One can of chickpeas (400g)
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp honey, melted (optional)
- Pinch of smoked sea salt