White Chocolate Almond Cake
Wonderfully moist, this decadent cake is gluten free and is a wonderful way to use up apples, by making apple puree to replace the need for butter. The chocolate chips are optional should you wish to limit the amount of fat, but they do make for a rather exciting cake experience.
Here's how you do it
1. This cake is very simple to make, simply throw everything (except the chocolate chips, flaked almonds and icing sugar) into a bowl or mixer and mix until well combined.
2. Now add the chocolate chips and mix in with a wooden spoon until evenly distributed.
3. Pour the mixture into a greased cake tin, and decorate with the flaked almonds sprinkled over the top.
4. Bake at 170 degrees for 30-40 minutes until a skewer comes out clean and the top is golden brown. Here, I used a 9” cake tin, so if you use a smaller one, allow a little longer in the oven as the cake will be deeper.
5. Once removed from the oven, leave for 5 minutes and then gently tap the cake all the way around and carefully turn it out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
6. Dust with icing sugar through a sieve before serving.
This is one of those cakes which people often ask the recipe for, as it looks impressive and tastes delicious. However, because it is so wonderfully moist, remember to dust with icing sugar immediately before bringing it out and serving, as the top will absorb the sugar over time and may become patchy!
The white chocolate chips are not necessary for this recipe, the almond cake alone is just as delicious, however white chocolate and almond go beautifully together in my opinion. I have also put almond essence as an alternative to vanilla, as this simply puts the taste into the marzipanesque category, which the almond lovers in the house adore. However, the vanilla essence ensures it is not too overwhelming for those who are not overly keen on the wonder that is marzipan. Maybe marzipan is the new marmite? Best pick a side.
- 400g apple puree - recipe in desserts section (or 200g butter or vegan equivalent)
- 100g sugar (or 50g Truvia or chosen sweetener equivalent)
- 3 free-range eggs
- 200g ground almonds
- 70g gluten free flour (or plain flour)
- 2 tsp vanilla essence (or almond essence)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100g white chocolate chips (optional)
- Handful of flaked almonds to sprinkle on top
- Icing sugar to dust